Land of Volcanoes, land of history, Auvergne is attracting visitors every year. In Auvergne, we contemplate the immutable calm of the mountainous horizon, we abandon oneself in front of the majestuousness of the highlands, we leave the time of a day in search of the multiple water sources of the area.
Also called Haut Pays d'Auvergne, Haute-Auvergne is the part of the most southern region, the most mountainous and least populated. Authentic territories and out of time. Saint-Flour is the perfect gateway.
Saint-Flour, basalt columns between the suburbs and the upper town
Saint-Flour is divided into two parts, the "lower town" and the "upper town." The upper town is perched at 900 altitude meters and located on the Planèze, large volcanic plateau of Cantal. The lower city, meanwhile, is built in the Vallée de l'Ander. On the road connecting the lower town to the upper town, one can observe the great basaltic organs, which testify to the ancient Auvergne volcanic activity. The Hotel du Nord is located in the middle of the rue des Lacs, that is in the center of the upper city.
WHAT TO VISIT AROUND?
- 400 meters away, enter into the Cathedral Saint-Pierre, Gothic building of the XVth century lava stone. Admire the great Black Christ at the entrance of the choir. Coming out, on the forecourt, take a breath remembering that these 892 meters of altitude make it the highest cathedral in Europe.
- Around the hotel, go through the medieval streets and imagine the effervescence of this shopping city on a market day.
- At 1 km, admire the basaltic organs, along the sidewalk between the upper town and the lower town.
- At 28 km, discover the natural hot springs of Chaudes-Aigues, where the waters, having made Chaudes-Aigues an iconic place of the thermalism in France, with temperature between 45 and 82 ° C.
- At 13 km, admire the Garabit Viaduct, an architectural feat of the famous Gustave Eiffel, spanning La Truyère.
- At 34 km, reach the summit of the Plomb du Cantal (1855 m) and enjoy a panoramic view of the Monts du Cantal.
- At 67 km, fall under the charm of the village of Salers, ranked among the most beautiful villages in France and having given its name to the cheese, the cow race and the famous Salers Gentiane cantalienne.
- Admire the Chaîne des Puys and let yourself be tempted by one of the many possible hikes in the heart of the volcanoes of Auvergne.
- Discover the Vulcania theme park to enrich your culture on volcanoes.
- Visit the many castles of Auvergne, more than forty are open to the visit.
- Take a dip in the lakes of altitude and enjoy many water activities with your family.